Dive Boat Anchor Construction
50 Pound Stainless Steel Anchor
October, 2010

Richard Jacquot

Here's a small report on my new anchor I built for my dive boat. When I went to the Cooper River in September, one thing I didn't like was the anchor. I was using a 20 lb. Danforth anchor, it didn't work very well and had a hard time grabbing the river bottom, especially when the current was ripping.

I decided to get another anchor before my next trip out. I looked online at several different ones, most of them were pretty pricey. When I looked at the stainless steel, the prices were sky high!

I decided to visit my local scrap yard and see what I could find.

After a couple of visits I was able to pick up several pieces of stainless rod, square stock, etc. I cut angles on the hex pieces, cut the rods to length and designed my new anchor.

I took the pieces to my welder friend that does all my boat welding. He used stainless electric rod and we spent about an hour welding the pieces together.

Once finished I spent another three hours polishing the steel.

Bear Cat checking out the finished product.

The finished product...well, almost finished. I plan to add another piece of stainless 1/4" thick x 5" x 12" plate at the bottom that wraps around to help grab the river bottom. Then a little more polishing. I'll post another pic here when I am done. October, 2010

Well its June, 2011 and I decided it was time to finish the anchor to use on our dive trips this month.

I went back to the scrap yard and found this stainless piece of 3/16" pipe cut in half. I drew my pattern and took it down to the shop to cut.

I had forgotten what a pain in the a** it is to cut stainless steel. The last time I cut any, I was using a plasma cutter and it was still hard to get a smooth cut. I had to use my old school acetylene gas torch to cut the piece. It was slow going but I finally got it done.

Next was a couple of hours of grinding and polishing.

The idea for this piece was to act as a backdrop to catch the river bottom gravel as the spikes dig in. I opted to bolt the piece on in case it ever gets bent, although it would take a lot to bend 3/16" stainless! Overall this was a cheap project. I have $50 invested in the steel. The most expensive part of the anchor is the $25 shackle on top, I had to order that from California.

I decided to name the anchor the "Bottom Feeder" as I hope it will dig in and eat the river bottom when it hits.

"Bottom Feeder"

50 pound stainless steel anchor for dive boat, Sadeyn Sirenian


Bone Hunters Home Page

Mountain Pirate